≡ Menu
Home > General Criminal > Can I Vacation Outside Of The US With A Pending ACD?

Can I Vacation Outside Of The US With A Pending ACD?

Foreign jurisdictions may have questions about why you want to enter their country, and could even bar you because in their eyes, you have a pending criminal matter.

It’s entirely up to the customs agent on the other side, and there’s no way to know in advance whether the ACD will raise a flag with them or not.

One option is to carry a letter of disposition with you from the court.

If you are pulled aside for additional screening when you arrive at your destination, the letter can help provide verification that you are not a wanted felon or a likely threat based on your current circumstances.

Still, other jurisdictions have their own laws and rules, and it isn’t unusual for an open ACD to cause delays or unfriendly interviews when New Yorkers travel abroad.

When you have any ongoing relationship with a New York court, it’s best to ensure that everything is in order before you leave the state, and especially before you leave the country.

The attorneys at Zelenitz, Shapiro & D’Agostino can verify that you are free to travel and connect you with documentation that should answer any questions put to you on either side of the border.

Call us today at 718-599-1111 for a free consultation.